Friday, October 22, 2010

When I Was 20, I Lived in a Living Room

And I wrote about all my present events as if they were in my past. It's a strange thing to do, but at the time it made sense.

See,

I felt bulletproof for a little while.
And then I realized I was wrong, but it only made me feel bulletproven, validated.
As in,
"No, I am not bulletproof, but here -
look at all this bullet-proof.
I have the wounds to show you.
I'll lift up my shirt;
you will see
I am riddled.

come, occupy my negative space."

And so,

we acted like happiness was a score to be settled
- a dual.
Pointed earned and lost through laughs and smiles, or...something like that.
- touche.
Score tied, zero-zero.
Sometimes they call that "love."

But in actuality, there is no winning or losing. There is only luck

, and inertia.
Keeping the planets lined up (in just the right way),
Keeping the stars saying yes (or no, sometimes),
Guaranteeing - at the very least - that any part of the dust in my lungs might find its way into yours
, or vice-versa.

And now, instead:

stick
tick
click
b o o mstayawhile
s t i c k a r o u n d.

(putmymouthonyours, the rest is easy [or so they say])

i'm just saying,

if you stayed in my living room,
i'd let you keep your clothes in my garage.

1 comment:

  1. trying to wrap my finger around this one...gotcha about the Tense thing...i used to switch tenses when i was a youth......the rest is poetry

    ReplyDelete