Friday, March 20, 2009

How We Operate

I'm doing this because I'm lazy.
There's a 3am life chat-inspired post that I was planning to make, but it's the middle of the afternoon, aka the lull of all my writing abilities, and I don't think I'm going to have any time tonight.

So I'm posting a little piece that I wrote a couple of months ago.
I'm sort of torn between whether or not I'm actually into this. I do believe that it's an incredibly valuable skill to take mundane experiences and dress them up with pretty words until they feel significant and profound (I'm not sure if I've actually attained this ability yet), but on the other hand, I think that life should be lived with such intensity and passion that even the most blase of phrases should convey the beauty of the human experience.

And right now I feel somewhere in between.
So here's what I got out of Winter Break.

They say to expect traffic in Stamford, Connecticut. They say it’ll stop you all the way down I-95. Turn on the radio, and you’ll hear that what was supposed to be a two hour drive will now double itself into four. Nothing weird, no freak accidents, no flipped tractor trailers spilling produce onto the roads or any weird shit like that, just traffic slowly clogging up the arteries of the road.

Arteries carry blood away from the heart, which is funny because this highway is the one that’s taking us back home. We’ve been away because home contains memories that we can no longer chase and people we no longer know, and in this two days’ time, we’ve come so close to truths we may never reach again.

But we cannot be away forever, and so we go, chasing the sunset that my parents demanded that I beat home. Chasing the sunset because it’s unacceptable to chase ghosts. And as much as we wish to speed down the highway, weaving between cars and confronting danger with every change of lanes, we remain in traffic. So we sit and we wait and we turn up the volume, screaming away the melody and drowning out the sound. We hum through words we cannot say, and sing softly the melodies that ring true with a heartbreaking beauty that keeps the silence at bay.

1 comment:

  1. this made me sad. but i also spent all of yesterday crying to tegan and sara, i'm a very emotional person.

    also, it wouldn't let me comment for a while so i won't be surprised if you suddenly get like 15 comments all saying the same thing. and maybe one says fuck you.

    ReplyDelete