Tuesday, March 24, 2009

This Business of Business

This entry is coming at you live from Global Corporate Citizenship.
Yes, it is as horrible as it sounds, and yes, I am here because of my greatest kept secret: I am a business major.

Not so well-kept secret: I hate being a business major.
The classes are tedious and uninteresting, and I'd swear that there's nothing in the content that you couldn't figure out yourself. Even the professors tell us time and time again that success in business is dependent largely on personality, not whether or not you can list the differences between sole proprietorships and corporations.

I wouldn't necessarily mind pursuing a career in business once I graduate (though my degrees, if successful, will end up being conducive to a career in music journalism), but as far as education goes, quite frankly, this shit is a waste of time.

Business education benefits the pocket, not the mind, and if you cannot expand your mind, then why bother with a college education?

I miss my history courses, my literature analysis, and the intricacies of DNA. There are no questions in business, nothing to explore. Only facts and statistics and fifty-dollar ghetto public speaking pamphlets (not how to public speak in a ghetto manner, rather an expensive poorly-assembled packet).

And yet, I. am still. here.
I cannot leave, despite my overwhelming passion and desire for other subject matter.
And last night I finally figured out why.

How my life was to proceed, according to my parents:
1. Birth
2. Elementary eduction
3. Prestigious Jesuit university
4. Church on Sunday
5. Graduate with a business degree
6. Pursue a career conducive to earning lots of dolla dolla billz
7. Marry a nice man (Filipinos appreciated, but not required, score!)
8. Pop out children
9. Die

My life plan:
1. Check
2. Check
3. Find my inner radical queer at American University
4. Hungover on Sunday (getting better at this. In addition, that's not the only reason I don't go to church. Reference my first entry for vague thoughts on religion)
5. Fail my business classes, pursue Women's and Gender Studies, Anthropology, Biology, Journalism (anything that will earn me no money in the future)
6a. Live in a box
6b. Not mind living in a box, because all my friends from AU live in boxes anyway, and we're in love with our lives so whatever
7. Gay. (not the only reason I don't see myself getting married, but that's an entirely different post)
8. Gay AND irresponsible (and kind of selfish and totally disapproving of the way that childhood is rapidly disappearing for newer generations, also another entry)
9. We'll see.

If I could, I would make a bitchin' venn diagram of this, and it would become even more apparent that I've ballsed (yes, balls as a verb) it all up already. I'm not sure how to reconcile this, because here, away from home, I'm finally able to pursue what I truly want, free from direct restriction from my parents and able to get all my quality out-of-classroom-learnin'. But. My weekly phone conversations with my family serve as a constant reminder that I'm nothing that they expected. Worst of all, is that I've got the feeling that even if I didn't decide to earn a Catholicalicious education and ironically pursue a soulless business degree, all would be well if I'd just settle down and get married.

None of this is happening, and as far as I know, my life is better for it.
But business, right now, it's all I've got.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I totally feel you. Also, the things that make you happy are generally the things that leave you penniless and living in a box. But you're right, if it's a box next to your friend's box it kinda makes it feel alright.

    All I want in my future is this: I want to be broke and happy, with a woman I love in a city I love, and a job that keeps me thinking and moving.

    You are totes an awesome person and good things will happen for you - says the wisest, all seeing, all knowing being (me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the idea of having an organized life that proceeds step by step into the future. Life is too short it seems, and time too precious to plan out a timeline of when you'll be happy, when you'll accomplish things.

    Your plan, however, is good. Do everything spontaneously and just for the joy of doing it, and you'll never sense the despair of the is-this-all-there-is-to-life feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel like i destroy other people's plans and hopes for my future more with each semester here. trust me, they get used to it. and when they don't, i just don't text back.

    ReplyDelete